Staying on a farm with superfoods like avocado & beetroot I am right at the source to experiment with these miracle workers.
Avocado is not only extremely delicious ( and healthy !! ) in a salad or a smoothie, it is one of those beauty ingredients we simple can’t live without.
Me, personally, I am obsessed with my skin. So when I found out that avocadoes are amazing for your skin, as a natural moisturizer I found myself in 7th heaven. I am literally addicted to moisturizers, and to be able to actually make it myself is almost too good to be true!
What is it exactly that avocado does you might wonder?
1) Antioxidants in avocado oil. Avocado fruit, and therefore, avocado oil are very rich in antioxidants and, especially, Vitamin E, which is known to be very powerful helper in the “battle” against skin ageing process, fighting free radicals and protecting skin cells from oxidizing.
2) Avocado oil is rich in Omega-3, which is highly effective in protecting the skin from UV rays, therefore decreasing the chance of being sunburned, preventing the appearance of age spots and reducing the risk of skin cancer. Avocado oil is ideal for dry, dehydrated and damaged skin, because it can “breath a new life” into it, increasing it’s elasticity and rejuvenating the skin.
3) Avocado oil is rich in vitamins, such as Vitamins A, E, D, B1, B2, K, PP…It can be used not only as a skin care treatmentbut also, the vitamins mentioned above can be beneficial for the whole body. To improve the overall condition of your hair, nails , skin and the whole system, it’s good to eat 1 teaspoon of avocado oil 2 times a day, 30 minutes before eating during at least one month.
The only important thing is – make sure that you are not allergic to avocado oil.
4) Avocado oil is widely used in cosmetic industry, as a very powerful ingredient that can help moisturize your skin, nourish it and fight ageing process, as we already mentioned. Most effective benefits avocado oil brings to our facial skin. This oil is considered to be “a base oil” that you can apply on the skin alone, in it’s pure form, or use it as a base for preparing essentiel oil mixes.
5) Avocado oil can be used daily and is beneficial for all skin types, it can be used, as a very effective and natural skin moisturizer . This oil will deeply penetrate to the deep layers of the skin and stimulate the production of collagen, therefore, improving the softness and elasticity of the skin and reducing it’s dryness. (Avocado oil can be also beneficial for people with such skin conditions as psoriasis and eczema, relieving the itchiness of the skin.)
6) Avocado oil can be used alone instead of under eye cream, naturally caring for gentle skin around the eyes and reducing tiny mimic fine lines and wrinkles.
7) Avocado oil can be used as a great night time treatment or it can be used as a base for preparing other homemade natural skin care treatments. 1 teaspoon of avocado oil can be added to any facial homemade mask. When used regularly, avocado oil can help reduce skin redness or irritations, get rid of small fine lines, improve skin’s elasticity, so that the skin will look young, healthy and fresh.
Below I listed some of my favorite avocado beauty products that are out there. And for those who want to make their own beauty products, there are some fantastic recipes for you to try out!
For the shopaholics amongst us:
Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado Shaving Cream
Crabtree & Evelyn ®, Triple Milled Soap, Avocado & Olive Oil, 5.57
Burts Bees Avocado Hair treatment
And for the DIY lovers :
Avocado Carrot Cream Mask
This mask is rich in vitamin E, beta carotene, antioxidants, calcium and protein, ingredients that may help rebuild skin collagen, fade age spots and improve tone and texture.
1 avocado, mashed
1 carrot, cooked and mashed
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons honey
Combine all ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Spread gently over your face and neck, and leave in place 10-15 minutes. Rinse with cool water and follow with your favorite toner.
Avocado hand treatment
This mixture uses lemon for its fresh citrus scent. The oats aid in the absorption of avocado’s natural oils and provide gentle exfoliation leaving you with soft, fresh hands.
1/4 fully ripened avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
1 egg white
2 tablespoon rolled oats
1 tablespoon lemon juice
In shallow bowl, mash avocado until smooth. Add egg white, oats and lemon juice; stir until combined. Massage into hands; leave mixture on for 20 minutes; rinse with warm water.
Avocado mask for oily skin
Lemon, a natural astringent, controls oil and the proteins in egg whites strengthen the skin. Nourishing avocado brings balance to the mixture with its valuable oils.
1/2 fully ripened avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
1 egg white
1 teaspoon lemon juice
In blender, combine avocado, egg white and lemon juice; whirl until smooth. Apply evenly to face; leave on 20 minutes; rinse with warm water.
Avocado mask for hair
When applied to hair, avocado, egg yolk and olive oil act as humectants; they trap in moisture and the hair shafts soak up the nourishment they need.
1 fully ripened avocado, halved pitted and peeled
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
In shallow bowl, mash avocado until smooth. Add egg yolk and olive oil; stir until combined. Divide dry hair into sections. With hands, apply mixture to hair by massaging into each section, concentrating on the ends. Allow to set for 30 minutes and rinse with warm water.
Hope you guys enjoyed this! Would love to hear what you have tried out and what you thought about the results. Click the link next to the post title and leave a comment.
Have a beautiful day!